Well, you may have wondered what kept me from updating the past two weeks… or maybe not. But in any case, I no longer have a working computer at home. (In fact, I’m currently writing this as steathily as possible while at work.) That is going to keep me from updating as consistently, and will also prevent me from finishing Kat’s (not-so) Epic Christmas/New Years 2008 (and technically 2009) Trip (of Wonderfulness). Well, until I get my new computer next month, that is.
A quick update on my life, then:
- The flu has hit Iki. We’ve got teachers down, students down, probably even cows down. This is not helped by the poor insulation and heating inside of buildings, nor continued exercise outside.
- Felt like I was going to freeze to death on Friday. I actually left my heater on all night–a first time this winter. The temperature inside my house hit 8 degrees celcius–outside, it was below freezing with wind.
- Am celebrating Obama’s upcoming inauguration by mentioning it in every single one of my classes. I’m also considering teaching a class on it, too, but we’ll see how that one goes. It seems strange that it hasn’t happened yet, there’s been so much hype. And hey, he’s already used his political capital to get the remaining TARP funds, so it’s almost like he’s President already, anyway.
- I attempted to teach my Second Years at Naka the Fifty Nifty United States song. Failed, but it was an entertaining 30 minutes. The main problem was not actually pronunciation, but instead getting them to understand the melody. I wonder if I can find the sheet music online?
- Also taught my Third Years at Naka the game Mafia. This went much better than anticipated, but really, it needs a full class period in order to work. Even with an extensive translation explaining the game, it still took an extra 10 minutes of How-To before the students got what was going on. Still, I loves it. Will possibly try again.
- Hahaha, just read a bit of inauguration coverage: “two majestic American bald eagles were brought on stage to flap their wings and look … well, majestic.” (Good job USA Today.)
- Will be spending the longest amount of time exclusively on Iki yet… and I’m kind of loving it. I’ll love it even more after we get paid on Wednesday and I can take to exploring with a bit more pizazz.
Ok, well, I think that’s good for now. Any updates on your life? How are you liking/feeling about the inauguration ceremonies?