Why I love today
- I taught my third years how to introduce themselves in sign language. This is entertaining on several levels. First, I didn’t know any American Sign Language besides random “love,” “day,” and “Christmas,” all from my childhood. I learned everything I needed to know from youtube videos in an ASL blitz yesterday while at work. Second, even the kids who don’t like sitting around in English class got interested. Third, I learned that the word for “to like” in Japanese Sign Language looks like you’re combing through a very long beard. AWESOME.
- Nice-sensei asked me to do some extra work on Sunday. A few second and third year students are taking a big English test, so she wants me to help moderate, etc. I said yes, of course, wasn’t planning on doing anything, and I like getting involved in the community. She mentions it’ll take all day. I say no problem. She adds that I need to do a bunch of prep work. Again, “No worries. I don’t mind.” Then she adds, “Oh, and you’ll get over 2 man (probably around $250) extra out of it.”
- That is awesome. Getting paid extra for something I would have done anyway.
- Especially when I just bought a (very, very expensive) new computer and need to pay it back while still not giving up the opportunities for travel that I have while living here.
- I just got the Amazon books I ordered–much earlier than expected!
- Now I just have to decide which one to read first. The romance novels/Neil Gaiman books I could finish tonight if I started now. Graceling, however, I’m pretty sure will take about two days just because of its size.
- My fourth novel is flowing better than anticipated.
- Though due to the character sheets I’ve created, I’m going to have to rewrite my (very rough) synopsis before I start writing. The actual story.
- Did I mention that I’ve written nearly 15,000 words for this book so far? Oh, but wait, NONE of it will go in the book. It’s all just character backstory for me.
- Nice-sensei gave me friggin’ delicious chocolate.
- Because I had five classes, I wasn’t too cold at work even though it got randomly colder again.
- I don’t have to plan any classes tomorrow, which means more delicious reading time (minus that whole preparing for monitoring the test business).
- I got notification from Apple that my cash back rebates/receipts were received, so that’s all good.
There’s probably more, but overall, I’m a happy camper.
There will probably be one more entry in K@’s Epic New Years/Christmas Adventure–the actual New Years part. I might split this into two because there are quite a few pictures, but we’ll see how it goes. I’ll be finishing it just in time to take a break before I start the next one–Hiroshima and Miyajima! I’m visiting there for spring break.
Which reminds me that I need to reserve my hostels…
K@ out. What do you love about today? Your week? Your month so far?