Resolved: I will have a fracking good 2011
Last year I made three concrete resolutions.
- Finish another book. (DONE: Singular.)
- Take a photo every day. (DONE: 365 Project)
- Study Japanese and Chinese. (Epic Fail. Within about two weeks.)
Two for three! That’s not bad. So. For next years resolutions, I’m being a little more ambitious. More specifically: there are a lot of them. I figure if I can keep up the same ratio of success, it’ll be a good time. Though it’ll probably be a good time anyway, because I pretty much have the greatest job ever. (Have I mentioned my 20 days of vacation lately? My good health care? My amazing paycheck? No? Well, now I have. But, I digress.)
So! I have split them into three areas: work, writing, and personal.
- I will speak less Japanese in Class: My students have been using my ability to speak and understand Japanese as a crutch. They don’t use English, nor do they understand English, because they know they don’t have to. NO LONGER. And I will have talks with my teaching partners about translating less, or at least only when I give them my wide-eyed look of They Don’t Understand What the Hell I’m Saying HELP ME NOW.
- I will apply for the Peace Corps, probably in December. Because I don’t want to be accepted before I leave Japan, necessitating me to pay for my plane ticket back to the states. That would be laaaame. If I get accepted. OR I will find a way to work in Europe. Because I’ve decided I love Europe.
- I will study Japanese and Chinese. Japanese for 30 minutes every Monday and Wednesday, and Chinese for 20 minutes every Tuesday and Thursday. The goal: get back to conversational Chinese. Take (and hopefully pass) the JLPT 2 (Japanese Language Proficiency Test, level 2) in either June or December.
- I will apply for the Foreign Service and take the Foreign Service exam in February 2012. (Can I make resolutions that happen in 2012? Well, the first half will happen in 2011). This requires me to re-subscribe to some kind of newspaper. I did like the NYT reader…
- I will finish two novels, a young adult and a romance. REALLY SCARED FOR THIS ONE, FOLKS. I have only ever managed to finish one MS a year, even if I can write books in two months. (Did it for both Singular and Saguaros and Spaceships. Apparently I also like titles that start with “S”. Hm.) Also, haven’t worked on a romance MS in aaages. But! I believe in myself!
- I will be more active about Marketing Myself. This means several things. Updating this blog four times a week (except when traveling). Commenting on other blogs more often. Going to online classes and “conferences”. And, perhaps the most terrifying of all: I have joined twitter. OMG. How will I ever finish Writing #1?! With that to distract me? WHY MUST THESE CONTRADICTORY GOALS BE SO NECESSARY?!
- Okay, enough melodrama.
- I will query Singular until I either get an agent or am certain certain CERTAIN that no agent on earth wants to represent it. Oh god, the second half of that sentence really made me depressed.
- Exempting emergencies/travel, I will not take longer than a week to crit. Ever. Because it just makes me feel guilty.
- I will enter at least one photo contest. I am proud of (some of) my photos. I work hard on my technique and my framing. And though I may not be the greatest at editing, I think I do pretty okay. SO. I want to see whether others agree with me. And thus I will enter contests. Most likely free ones. Or not free ones that benefit charities.
- I will get my credit card balance below $1000 and keep it there. The damn credit card may be helpful for purchasing plane tickets, but it is a main contributor to my still not-paid-in-full Student Loans of Doom. (Okay, not doom. Just Chinese water torture.) This also means I will only travel if I can afford to pay for it all upfront. OH NO. I will never leave my island.
- I will read a book a week, and possibly do the 2011 Debut Author Challenge. But nonfiction books count as two books, because those suckers take a crapload of effort to read.
- I will donate at least $20 a month to charity: water. I am blessed enough that I can afford to give twelve people clean water for twenty years. It won’t hurt that bad. Swears. (And maybe you could, too!)
- I will hold another charity: water drive. In 2009, I raised $2500. In 2011 I’m going for $5000. I want a well with my name on it, DANGIT. I want a whole village to have water because of me, my family, and my friends. DANGIT.
- I will run 5x a week, even if that running is only 5 or 10 minutes. Especially when I eat a lot of cookies, cause goodness knows I love the cookies.
NOW DO YOU SEE HOW CRAZY I AM? Yeah. Super crazies. Can I do it? Well, maybe 2/3. 😀
SO. Do you have any resolutions? Do you think I’m crazy? Will you please, please, PLEASE keep me accountable for some of these! I’m nervous as heck!